Sunday, August 30, 2009

Rest

Rest.

That's what I thought that I was going to be getting in these next few weeks, with the gap between the summer and winter leagues.  However, it looks like that won't be the case.  My phone started ringing yesterday with guys asking me to play for them in their leagues, in their playoff games.  I have a hard time saying "no" when it comes to hockey, I always have, and I always will.

I will manage to get some rest though.  I won't be playing five straight days anytime in the near future (or at least in the next two weeks).  I need the rest, desperately.  Yesterday morning everything hurt, everything ached...  Perhaps that's just my bodies way of reminding me that I really am not as young as I think I am.  I recognize that I can't do all of the things that I could do when I was younger and just expect to bounce back right away, "Five straight days of hockey, no fucking problem..."  I wish that was still the case.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not half dead over here, but I'm not sure if I am half alive either...

The funny part about trying to get a little rest is, well, I hate it.  Yeah.  I fucking hate not playing hockey.  When I don't play I feel like something is missing from my day.  I hate not being in a rink, going through all of my absurd pre-game rituals and superstitions...  I miss competing, I miss that camaraderie among the guys, giving each other shit endlessly...  I realize though, that I do in fact need the rest, my body is screaming at me to take a few extra days off.  I hear it, and I will, but there is a funny thing that happens when you get older, it takes longer to get back into the swing of things.  The more time I take off, the longer it will take for me to get back into that grove again...

Just the same though, I do need the rest, but I'll be honest, I can't fucking wait to get back into it once the winter league gets going again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment