Friday, August 14, 2009

Suspended for $8.60

I didn't play hockey last night, which as ridiculous as it sounds, makes me go crazy with boredom...  I feel like I have nothing to do, I have no need for my afternoon nap, no reason to go through my ritualistic/wildly neurotic bag packing/unpacking.  Worst of all, I have no reason to be at the rink (and no, don't worry, I didn't go to the rink last night).  

I did however buy suspenders yesterday for my goalie pants, because lately, since I bought a new (and thankfully much more protective and bigger) chest and arm protector, I've had some issues with the fit of my pants.  I know that I have mentioned more than once my neurotic tendencies in regard to preparing for hockey games,  but when it comes to my equipment, holy shit.  I swear there is something wrong with me.  I have gone through three chest protectors, four pairs of pants, five gloves, four blockers, five sets of leg pads, and have tried out at least ten different sticks, and three masks...  All in the last ten months.  Yes, in less than a year I have gone through that much gear.  

I have happily however found just the right fit with just about everything that I use most often, but the pants, those God damned pants.  I actually love the shape of the pant, and the level of protection (there was actually too much padding internally around the thighs, so I had to cut a lot of it out as it restricted my mobility), but the fit at the waste is an issue.  I'm a slight guy, I don't have a gut, I haven't reached the point where I could give a shit about my appearance, I'm not going to lie, I'm vain as hell, in fact, my vanity is the reason (partially) that I have so much equipment.  I like my equipment to match the colors of the team that I am playing with.  Simple right, and a little retarded/possibly gay.  You wouldn't believe the shit that I catch in the locker room from guys about my gear.

(Oh, yeah, I'm going to use the word "retarded" and if you don't like it, piss off, and, I use the word "gay."  So all of you politically correct retards out there can piss off and stop being gay about it and get over it).

Digression, sorry, the fit of the pants, right.  They have a nylon belt that you can cinch up to get them tight around the waste, but after a year of trying to deal with the poor fit I broke down and bought some suspenders.  I have always sworn that I wouldn't wear them, and to this point I never have.  Mostly because I am concerned about my mobility, and I am not thrilled about having the straps on my shoulders (I don't wear a tee shirt, or Under Armor like most guys do under their gear.  Again, 20 years of wearing your gear a certain way will make you hesitant about making a change.) but I figured that I would give them a try.  Hell, they were only $8.60, I figured I could take a chance on them...

So I am going to try them out this at 3 this afternoon. I need to play today, borderline HAVE to play.  If I don't, I will more than likely have to go four days without playing, and I haven't done that in over a month, since the weekend of the fourth of  July.  Oh, and did I mention that playoffs for the Dennis Summer Men's League start on Monday?  So there is no fucking way that I am going to go four days without playing, and is also why I am going to try out the suspenders today at a stick session as opposed to Monday, in a playoff game.

Exciting shit right, suspenders for goalie pants...?  At least I wasn't writing about trying to find the perfect goalie cup...

No comments:

Post a Comment