Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Overconfidence is a Killer

So lately, it seems as though something, collectively is off, way off, for both teams.  Strangely it almost seems like overconfidence.  Very concerning to me.  If there was on thing that I learned during my very short lived poker career, never, EVER, underestimate anyone at anytime.  It always leads to big, pathetic, wildly embarrassing loses (and sometimes ties).

Now, in the DHML, we've been pretty consistent with our lines over the last five to six weeks, everyone has been healthy...  We've been able to roll over some of the lesser teams, as we should, but now I feel like because of a few weeks of having a "soft" schedule that the boys seem to think that they can walk all over every other team in the league, which is NEVER the case when you have one defense man who is over 50, and another that just got back onto the ice this past spring after a ten year absence...  Defense is paramount to being successful, and without it, we are at best, average.  And that goes for both teams...  Average.  

Fuck average.  The thought of that, the idea of being average pisses me off to no end.  WHo the fuck wants to be average?  Ok, I get that it's just men's league, shit, we're paying to play, no one is getting paid, none of us are superstars, but come on, you never lose the want, that desire to win, to compete.  That's why we're out there, not for fun, not for exercise, to compete, to go out there and kick the shit out of the team that your playing, to win.  I cannot stand when someone says to me that it's just a game.  Go eat shit. I've been playing hockey for twenty years, and not for fun, I play because I have a desire and a need to compete.  People who know me even only peripherally know this about me.  I hate losing.  Only losers are ok with losing, I do not fall into that category.  The "loser" category.

Two games ago there was a play where an opposing player absolutely undressed everyone on my team, including myself, and after the play was over, and the goal was scored one of my defense men was laughing about it.  I wanted to kill him. Laughing really.  That guy just embarrassed you and you're laughing about it.  I don't have any desire to play with guys like that.  None.  I'll tell you what, there is a team in the league that has no wins, and probably won't win a game all year, go fucking play with them.  You want to laugh about getting your ass handed to you, well, you'll have plenty of opportunities to do so playing for those bums.  Yuck it up over there.  I don't need defense men like that in front of me, the game is hard enough as it is.

Again, this all goes back to my competitive nature...  Now some people have a hard time accepting that about me.  That's their problem.  Not mine.  Winning is fun, I smile when I win, the world is all rainbows and sunshine when I win, and when I lose, stay the fuck away from me.  There has never been a time that I have taken the ice and thought "We're fucked, there is no way we're going to win..."  I ALWAYS EXPECT TO WIN.  ALWAYS.  Don't show up if you don't think that you're going to win, seriously, do me a favor, stay at home sitting on your couch watching television eating junk.  OR, go play for the team that blows cock, hey, at least you had "fun" and there is always beer after.

I seem to have gotten slightly off track, but only slightly.  I was talking about both teams going into games being over confident, and you're probably thinking, "Didn't this asshole just say that he ALWAYS expects to win?"  Yes, I did, now, there is a difference between being overconfident, and just plain expecting to win...  I expect to win because I always leave it all out on the ice.  I will do whatever it takes for my team to win, giving them all I have to give and a little extra if I have to.  That is why I always expect to win, because I know that I am never out there dogging it, I can't, I'm the fucking goalie for fuck's sake.  I believe 100% in the old "A good goalie makes all the saves that he's supposed to make, and some of the ones that he has no business making..."  So in order to make the semi-impossible saves, I have to give every last ounce of whatever I've got in the tank that night.  And I always do.

So after 19 games, I am collectively 10-6-3, with a 2.53 GAA, and 2 SO.  

No comments:

Post a Comment