Friday, October 9, 2009

Supremacy...

On Wednesday night in Orleans we played Top Gun, and before the game I would be willing to bet that on both teams (because I know that we were) guys were looking at this game as the game that would establish who the best team in the league was at this very early part of the season. 

On the first shift of the night, a little less than thirty seconds into the game we struck first.  Jake busted over the blue line and rifled a shot toward the net that their goalie got a piece of, but somehow dropped at his feet where Jake, who was following his own play, tucked the puck past in for the first tally of the night.  Here's the funny thing about that, I had no idea that we scored, I actually thought that the opposing goaltender had actually caught the puck initially, so I had turned around to grab a drink from my water bottle.  I missed the face off following the goal as well...  I have to say, that is the first time that I have ever missed my team scoring a goal during a game.  

Jake had an unbelievable night, he scored all of our goals, back checked his ass off and all he got to show for his hustle was a black eye.  While cutting through the middle of the ice in the defensive zone, and putting move after move on just about every one of Top Guns players that were on the ice at the time, one of them decided to throw a hip check at Jake, which threw him for a loop, literally.  He ended up landing on his head, which dazed the fuck out of him.  After the game he kept asking us what happened, that he couldn't remember anything about the incident...  He needed help getting back to the bench because he couldn't keep his legs under him...  

Now here is the thing about throwing a check like that in a league like ours.  It's bullshit.  Plain and simple, you just don't do it.  Most of the guys don't wear shoulder pads because it is a no checking league, a little contact yes, but a check like the one that Jake took, no.  A guy doesn't expect to be hit like that for obvious reasons, so when it does happen, the results are usually devastating...  Jake missed roughly the next ten minutes of the game, and by the time that we all managed to get ourselves out of the locker room he had a black eye.  Now, don't get me wrong, I like a physical game, but that hit crossed a line.  I can guarantee that the next time that we play them, the guy that threw the hit better have his head on a swivel, because payback is a bitch.

I know that I have said it before about this years Summit team, but shit, we are a complete team.  There are no holes, no weak links.  The guys played a complete game again Wednesday night, though I did see a few more shots than I did the previous game.  That Top Gun team can play, and overall, they are a pretty young team, so they have the legs to keep coming at you...  They did manage to score one on a two on one, it was actually a nice goal, a bang-bang play, firing the puck high on my stick side...  At the time, that goal closed the gap to 2-1, but the boys came right back to put us ahead by two a few minutes later off of a scrum in front of the net...

When the dust settled, it was 4-1 good guys, running our record up to 3-0-0.  My GAA in the OMHL is 1.33, with 1 SO.  Overall this winter, 5-2-1 with a 2.25 GAA and 1 SO.

Our next game in the OMHL is against the Land Ho at 8PM...  Should be a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment